History of Unity Baptist Church
Unity Baptist Church was formed in 1848, just three years after the creation of the Southern Baptist
Convention. Many of the founding members previously belonged to Jacks Creek Baptist Church, which was founded in 1828. The name of our church was derived from Unity Baptist Church located in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, the county from which many settlers in the area had migrated.
In 1858, the church house was moved to the present location on property formerly belonging to the Reverend John Arnold Crook, a local Baptist minister. The cemetery at this location was started in 1859. The church met as often as possible during the Civil War. Many of the members served in the Confederate Army, and there are twenty-six Confederate soldiers buried here. The decoration of these and other graves resulted in an annual decoration day, or Homecoming, which is celebrated on the 4th Sunday in May.
The building was remodeled from the floor up around the turn of the century, remodeled again in the 1970s and is now brick. An activity building was added which contains a kitchen, Fellowship Hall, additional classrooms, and a full sized gymnasium.